Monday, March 14, 2011

The Stink Emanating

Yesterday I noticed a stink emanating from Bubba's room.  It wasn't horrible, I didn't think it was pre-pubescent boy, but it did cross my mind that Bubba may need to clean his room this week.  

This morning when I went in to wake Bubba, I noticed the stink again.  It was still hanging in the air, and as soon as I entered the room my first thought was that the dog had peed in his room or maybe even Bubba had some sort of accident in the middle of the night.  I told Bubba as soon as he got home we were going to have to start sorting through his crap to see where it was coming from.

After school we started in on the mess.  Everything came out of the dresser, underwent the smell test and was sorted/folded and put back in the right drawers.  All the books were collected and put back on the bookshelves, all the toys put in the crates, all the sudoko papers removed from between his bed frame and mattress and tossed, you know basic stuff.  Only one bag of paper trash was removed.  

Everything looked great, and I hoped the smell would disappear with a little time.

Tonight, after dinner David told Bubba they were going to clean his fish tank (they had set out the water yesterday in anticipation).  They went to wrangle the fish and, you see where this is going, one of them was dead.  Hmmm...that's what smelled.  The rotting fish in the tank.

This launched a whole discussion on when the fish died, Bubba claims it must have been seconds before our discovery, but we argue the funk and the decomposition present makes the TOD (time of death) a bit earlier.

Tank cleaned, fish disposed of...clean water...and guess what? No more stink!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love your blog! I recently started my own (mylittehandprints.blogspot.com) and stumbled upon yours as I was flipping through. Your family sounds so much like mine (just a few years ahead). Thank you for making me laugh until I cry and breathe a sigh of relief that it's not just our house where these crazy things can happen.