Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Make Good Choices!

I took Hannah to school this morning on my way to work.  She had asked for a ride a few days ago,
and had prepared to leave early with me so I could still make it to work on time.
Her lunch was packed.  Her hair was done (new thing).
It was all very smooth.
Until the conversation.

Me: Do you need a ride tomorrow morning?

Hannah: For what?

Me: Isn't there another Math test make up tomorrow morning?

Hannah: What test?

Me:  What are you doing this morning?

Hannah: A review session.

Me: Is there another tomorrow morning?

Hannah: Another what?

Me: Holy crap, Hannah.  What are we discussing?  The reason why you need to 
be at school early today.  Do you have to be at school early tomorrow?

Hannah:  For what?

Me: A MATH THING.

Hannah: I have a test tomorrow.

Me: Before school?  I swear, it's like we are playing Who's on First?

Hannah: What?

Me: No, what is on 3rd.

Hannah: I don't get it.

Me: Never mind.

Hannah: I need a ride tomorrow.

Me: Really?  This is exactly what we have been discussing. 

Hannah: I'll call you.

Me: After school?  You need to be picked up?

Hannah: Yes, mother.  Didn't you read the note I gave you?

Me: You gave me a note to read and sign.  That is exactly what I did. 
I read it.  I signed it.

Hannah: You're telling me you don't remember what the note said?

Me: Oh, you mean I am supposed to retain what I read?  No.  

Hannah: (eye roll, gives me the which one of us is the parent look) You're bad.

Me: If I retained the information from every slip of paper you and your brother bring home 
I would not have enough brain capacity to remember how to tie my shoes.
(We pull up to the front of the school.)

Hannah: (getting out) I can't believe you didn't retain the information from the note.

Me: Do you?  It seems like you're pretty confused about the note's information too.

Hannah closes the door and starts walking up to the building.

Me: (in shock that I did not get an I love you, or  even a bye, 
I roll down the window and shout) MAKE GOOD CHOICES!  
(one of our favorite lines from Freaky Friday, 2003)

Hannah laughs and smiles before walking into the building red faced.

No comments: