Thursday, May 26, 2011

IQ 80

It is the end of the school year...only 7 more school days to go!  Woot!  And so the "what am I going to do with my life" inner turmoil begins again.  This coupled with the fact that the job economy for David currently isn't great, I applied for a job.  A real job.  A 40 hour a week, have to wear shoes and brush your hair every morning before work job.  You know, the real kind of job where you don't get paid by the hour, but by the year...gasp.


So I applied for a job last Saturday as I was surfing the net wondering what I want to be when I grow up, and low and behold...I got an interview.  Seriously.  They called on Monday and wanted to schedule an interview with little ole' me.  (This is where I either faint from relief that I am marketable at 41, or where I faint that I have to go and put on nice clothes and talk to someone and make it seem like my IQ hasn't dropped 50 points since I had kids.)


Before the interview, I had to take some online ethics test and a personality test.  Whatever.  Doesn't seem too weird.  Or hard.  Until...dun...dun...dun...they said the first step in the interview process is an aptitude test.  A what?  A...CRAP!  They sent over a few examples and I started giving it a little looksie.  Can I detect sequential patterns?  Uh...sure...that looks...um...ok...ay.  The next section measures spatial relationships.  Uh...crap.  I may have a problem with that.  The final section?  Math aptitude.  Crickets are chirping.  Math?  ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?  


Did you all know that I was an Art major?  Seriously.  NO MATH.  Zero.  So I read the first example:  In a certain company, 30 percent of the men and 20 percent of the women attend night school.  If 40 percent of all employees are men, what percent of all the employees attend night school?  


I take out my handy dandy pencil and start scratching out some answers.  Um...percentages...should be easy enough.  I am a pro a figuring percentages at the store.  No problems.  I scratch a few ideas out and finally my answer matches their provided example's answer.  Whew.  Okay.


Nine other sample questions prove to me that I still have no business doing math.  I manage to muddle through 2 or so, but who here remembers algebra?  (Besides David and David and Rob, I'm guessing).  So, the age old question...could YOU pass an algebra aptitude test?  I just got home from the test (what will be, will be) and am feeling very IQ 80.

1 comment:

NanaGo said...

I had to take a HUGE test to be hired by Procter & Gamble. I was 42 and a high school graduate with no NO college just Mommy college. And like you, NO MATH. The first time I took the test they asked if I wanted a calculator. I said no cause I thought it would show weakness. I failed the test big time. The person that wanted to hire me found out I declined the calculator and said I should always use it. So she called up HR and said that I had been feeling very sick that day and could I take the test again. This time I took the calculator and passed. 10 years later I am still with P&G and my math skills have increased tremendously, thanks to the calculator. Good luck on your job search.