Monday, June 1, 2009

Ultimate Breakfast


In my family a holiday, in particular Christmas, is always celebrated with these bad boys. I have never gone a Christmas without these. They are called German Sour Cream Twists and really buttery good. This is the ultimate taste...yummy doughy goodness and orange juice are my ultimate breakfast. Ask any one of my nieces and nephews, brother or sister and they will say that GST are Christmas breakfast. The dough is really easy and not sweet at all. The sweetness comes from the mess you make with the sugar when rolling. I only see my brother a few times a year, which is hopefully going to change now that we have moved and he clocked his drive yesterday at 4.5 hours house to house. Since I am one of his favorite sisters :) I was really nice and made my brother and niece(and Mom and Dad and my kids) these for breakfast this morning. My kids thought it was Christmas. So did my husband. Here is the recipe...found by my Mom in a newspaper over 40 or so years ago.

German Sour Cream Twists by Mom

3 ½ c. flour

1 tsp salt

1 c. butter

1 pkg. dry yeast

¼ c. warm water

¾ c. sour cream

1 egg

2 egg yolks beaten

1 tsp. vanilla

*1 c. sugar for rolling

Dissolve package of yeast in warm water. Mix everything together in a large bowl (except sugar). Cover with a damp cloth or wrap in saran wrap and place in refrigerator 2 – 24 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using sugar, roll dough out folding over and adding more sugar, rolling dough again and adding more sugar, repeatedly forming a rectangle (about 8” x 16”) of dough, creating a puff pastry like multi layered dough. Cut rectangle into strips and take each strip folding ends to make a horseshoe. Lay each horseshoe on a cookie sheet and bake 10 – 15 minutes or until desired browness (Doughier is my favorite, while my husband wants dark brown. Both are good!) Enjoy!


If you are looking for the ultimate cookie try Melting Moments...I can always send the recipe.

No comments: