Saturday, May 12, 2012

Quotes of the week

Yesterday my sister Laura and I were talking on the phone when she asked me if I thought she should eat one of her chickens.  I know, you are thinking she's weird.  But let me explain. 


Laura is a wonderful gardener and runs a farmers market in her town.  Last year (or maybe it was longer) she and her adult son bought some chickens to raise to have fresh eggs and go to the traditional grocery store a little less and survive more from her garden and food locally available.  My nephew took his chickens to his house and basically ignores them, and all have survived and they produces tons of eggs.  Laura raised her chickens and ended up loosing two chicks, and now out of the two chicks she has left, one has quit laying eggs.


Back to the question, should she eat the one that doesn't lay?


So Laura is making conversation with her mother-in-law Anita, seriously the most wonderful mother-in-law in the world, when she brings up the chicken conundrum.  Laura asks Anita her opinion about just killing the chicken that isn't laying eggs.  Anita asks which one of Laura's chickens isn't laying when Laura realizes it is the one named after Anita's Mom.  Oh.  Did I tell you?  Laura named all her chickens after great grandmothers, which is kind of cute because our great grandmother had chickens and we both remember her chickens fondly.


So Laura's comment to me, one of my favorite quotes of the week..."Yeah, in hindsight?  I probably shouldn't have named my chicken after my mother-in-law's mom.  That, wasn't my brightest idea."


My second favorite quote (out of my own mouth) this week was from this morning.  Bubba had a 9 am soccer game and Hannah had to be driven to the high school at the same time to get her $15 physical for fall soccer in the field house.  I woke Hannah up at 8:20 and asked her to get ready for the physical.  By 9:00 am, after listening to the shower run for 10 minutes I stormed upstairs to pound on the door and yell, "It's not like you are going to prom!  Put some clothes on and get your butt out here.  It's a physical for soccer, in a field house, for crap's sake."  Yes, it was my finest parenting moment.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I actually laughed out loud at your quote. I can't WAIT to have teenagers.