Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dear Mom and Dad,

I love you very much. You are wonderful parents and have always showered blessings upon me and my family. You raised me to believe in God, respect my country and it's government, value family and make time for my family.

I understand that it will be hard to view me as an adult at times because I am still your daughter, but I am 40 years old and have lived on my own for over half of my life. I have run a house, am raising two children and have been with the same man for 20 years this fall.

This all being said...

Please do not come into my home to live with me and my family and complain about my choices. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful loving husband with a great job. His great job is located in Ohio. It is cold in Ohio int he winter and hot in Ohio in the summer. You can choose to come to visit us here in Ohio, but if you do come in December and January please do not act shocked that it is cold and there is snow. Come prepared. Wear something other than t-shirts and footie socks and loafers in my house and do not complain how cold you are all the time and sit by a space heater. Bring a decent coat and wear it. Do not take your dog out to pee and A. leave my door wide open and 2. wear something more than the sweater you threw on to go outside.

Please do not alter my home in anyway while I am at work. Ask before you open a can of paint, stain or pick up a drill. This is our home and I am very particular about it.

Please do not ask me what you should do with something then disregard my opinion. If you ask me whether you should put the chili in the oven or on the stove to heat and I respond with stove, don't put it in my oven after obviously hearing me.

Please do not bring your dog into my home. And please do not act shocked and repeatedly ask out loud which dog could have peed on the carpet in my dining room when we all know it was your dog and watched the dog do it. Please do not lock her in the guest bedroom and let her dig her way out the door by scratching the hell out of it. Please do not allow your dog to sit under the dinner table while we are eating and feed her from the table.

Please do not give me advice and lecture me on home-keeping while we are shopping. I do know that I can buy a larger tray of hamburger and break it into smaller bags and freeze the meat to save money.

And Mom, please do not go into the guest room and pout when you do not get your way.

I know that I am not perfect. I know that I am still recovering from you latest visit, but please understand when I ask you not to come for 6 weeks when you decide it is time for another visit. I know it is important to you to see and interact with your grandchildren, but 6 weeks is just too long. Please understand when I ask you never to bring your dog again. My life would be easier without your dog in my home. I would be happy to heed my own advice and leave my dog in Ohio anytime we travel to visit you in the future.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

((Hugs)) to you. Was this venting or will they see it? You are in my thoughts as you recover from the stress.